Review: Tales From the Hinterland

Tales From the Hinterland by Melissa Albert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A few years ago I read and reviewed The Hazel Wood and found that I was so disappointed in the underpinning of the novel. Give me the Tales I said. The Tales would make the story feel more grounded. After reading this collection of some of the darkest fairy tales one could read, filled with enough misogynistic behavior to make any sensible young woman a feminist, I can heartily say that THIS should be The Hazel Wood #0.5. While I understand why Albert wanted Alice's identity to remain obscure, the underpinnings of these stories make Alice's story even more compelling, rather than less so. Albert has created a tone not unlike that of the Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Andersen, but with a modern, feminist twist. Death and harm are everywhere, even as characters, and sisters are having to save themselves. These tales were, in some respects, the best writing I've seen of Melissa Albert, and she's a very creative (if dark...) writer.

The audiobook, read by Rebecca Soler, is excellent. However, readers that enjoy increased speed (I'm guilty) may find that past about 1.5 x the stories lose their power.


~ ~ ~

Want the purchase of Tales from the Hinterland to benefit your local independent bookstore? Click HERE.

Want the digital audiobook of Tales from the Hinterland  to benefit your local independent bookstore? Click HERE.

Want your ebook purchase of Tales from the Hinterland to benefit independent bookstores in general? Click HERE.


Follow Marzie's Reads on Bloglovin'.

© Marzie's Reads 2017-2021, All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular Posts