Review: Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening

Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening by Marjorie M. Liu
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Over the past few years, when I read books for the Hugos, it was done quietly, with little time for reviews, and often little joy, because of family circumstances. But if there is one thing my mother taught me which will linger for life, it was enjoyment of books and art. I wish I could have shown this book to my mom, who often scoffed at graphic novels. She would have been mesmerized. This book is an amazing, classic fantasy and a spectacularly drawn graphic novel. It's a work of art. It's also got a more engaging story than many a full length novel. And when I picked it up to read for the Hugos in April my fingers couldn't order Volume 2 fast enough. Many of you know I am now primarily reading ebooks, to the extent that I usually give paper books, including ARCs, away. I ordered this book in paper by error. I. Could. Not. Send. It. Back. It was too lovely. (Guess what format I ordered Volume 2 in?)

The story of Maika Halfwolf and Tuya, and of the loyal Little Fox child, Kippa, is a beautifully told magical fantasy. A tale of warring gods, demigods and humans, a bit of kindness, a lot of cruelty and more than a bit of injustice. I heartily hope it wins the Hugo for Best Graphic Novel.

My review of Volume 2 of Monstress will follow shortly.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts