Review: Some Lesser Known Irish Faerie Folk

Some Lesser Known Irish Faerie Folk Some Lesser Known Irish Faerie Folk by Tim Stampton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had the pleasure of meeting author/artist Tim Stampton in Helsinki at the 2017 WorldCon. Tim was there with plenty of prints and editions of this charming little book. If you know me and my love of folk and fairy tales, you know I wasn't passing it up.

A slender volume, with illustrations on every page, Stampton recounts some lesser known Irish fae, some of which may sound familiar. From Crow Dancers to Swan Riders (not to be confused with shapeshifting swanmays), to Turf Goblins and Sock Stealers, we see an amusing variety of creatures. Personally, I'm quite convinced I have a Sock Stealer hiding near my laundry basket.

Here's an example of some of the artwork, which I've heavily watermarked to protect the artist's work.



This is a delightful book for children and adults that will be sure to convince you that if you're in Northern Ireland, Inishowen in County Donegal is worth a stop, so you can see more of this artist's work.

You can see more examples of Tim's work on the Ballagh Studios Tumblr page. Creative Inishowen's Facebook page features Tim's work, as well.

My friend Melyna featured one of Tim's dragon drawings for Dragon Thursday on her blog. This image is part of a story that Tim is working on, about a dragon who hires a child to read to him. That's a story I'd love to read!



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts