Review: Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

4.5 Stars

Completing the duology begun with Six of Crows, Crooked Kingdom closes on a world that was so dark at the start by giving us a heartbreaking loss for one character but also with much hope for all.

In addition to my love of Bardugo's masterful character development in these books, I am awed by the skillfully handled and powerful message to young adult readers about the power of choice, of a simple touch, and of the fragile emotions that lie at the heart of even those who feign indifference for survival reasons. Kaz, Inej, Wylan and Matthias give the reader insight into the rehabilitation of injured and broken souls.

With breath-taking turnabouts that sometimes strained my credulity a bit (yes, even though this is fantasy!), Crooked Kingdom is almost non-stop action. With shocking revelations aplenty, the sharp moral focus of Kaz Brekker and his band is drawn in contrast to the façade of respectability and honesty by the Merchants like Van Eyck and the ever-slimy Pekka Rollins. One plot feature I much appreciated was the good stepmother, Alys, who enjoyed a congenial relationship with her stepson to the very end of the story.

I cannot wait to have time for further exploration of the Grisha world. Though late to the game, I'm no less appreciative of its wonders.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts