Review: Aru Shah and the End of Time

Aru Shah and the End of Time Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This sassy, happy, and interesting adventure follows Arundhati Shah, her soul sister Yasmini, and a sidekick named Boo (short for Subala) as they try to save the world and restart time. (I guess I should mention that Aru is responsible for stopping time, although she didn't really know that would happen as she was just showing off, and I'm pretty sure she won't do it again. But she'll probably do something similar, in all honesty. Aru is just... naughty. But she's nice, really she is.)

For those who are unfamiliar with Indian mythohistory, the Pandava Quartet draws on characters and stories from Mahābhārata and the Rāmāyana, the two great Indian epics. Aru and Mini have Pandava heritage and are upending that whole idea that you have to be male to be a hero. If you've enjoyed Greek, Roman and Norse mythology, stepping into the colorful, bold world of Indian stories is a real treat. The wit and humor in this middle-grade book are enough to keep most adults enjoying it. I can imagine the audiobook of this story, which releases on March 27, is going to be a great treat.

I received a Digital Review Copy from Net Galley and a paper review copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts