Review: All Systems Red

All Systems Red All Systems Red by Martha Wells
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Martha Wells has given us a mixed organic and synthetic 'droid with a self-deprecating sensibility and a deliberately disabled governor unit, allowing them the freedom to ditch the annoying extraneous info and spend their time watching endless episodes (as the story begins they're on episode 397 of The Rise and Fall of Sanctuary Moon) of their current serial. Labeled a SecUnit, the self-titled MurderBot, is the security, safety and surveillance unit assigned to safeguard corporate property and the fools who rent such cheaply maintained HubSystems. Murderbot has to wake up a bit because their current mission has gone very wrong. Maps segments are missing, there are treacherous large predators that were left out of their survey safety information and another group's HubSystem, DeltFall, appears to have gone offline. Against this backdrop, we're introduced to this first novella in the MurderBot diaries, a series about a very interesting android.

I really enjoyed this first novella in the series. I'm reviewing the Audible version because I blasted through the ebook right before the Hugo nominations closed and wanted to reread since I am reviewing my ARC copy of book two, Artificial Condition in the coming week.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts